Friday, December 20, 2013

Domaine Pral Beaujolais Nouveau 2013 wine review by (PB)

Cherry hue with an amazing bouquet of sweet red candy and a flowery bouquet with an amazing "something" which eludes my sensory vocabulary.

Palate--This was not what I was expecting; first impression is quite acidic almost to the point of puckering,with a really short presentation of sparse red fruit--strawberry--ending quickly even as it began the same. This is a big disappointment. The bouquet is wonderful, enticing and filled with sweet fruit but doesn't deliver in the mouth. Perhaps it will improve with breathing and warming up a bit from cellar temp which at the moment is about 54 degrees.

I paid $12 for it and it was worth the education as I have never had a "Domaine" Beaujolais Nouveau. I have one other "Domaine" Beaujolais which I will compare a later time. *The jury is out on this one; it is definitely not the typical highly fruity, easy to guzzle Nouveau. I will pair it with homemade French Onion soup.

Obviously label pictured is not for the 2013 but is the same in all other ways.
*After letting it breath and pairing it with dinner, my assessment remains that it was not a very pleasing Nouveau.

No comments:

Post a Comment