Thursday, November 28, 2013

Four Vines Zinfandel "The Sophisticate" 2009 wine review by (PB)

Nice dark black cherry hue with aromas of big jammy blackberry, spicy dark berry with cigar box touches, and light mint or cedar notes. Nice!

Palate--Plush mouth feel, integrated structure with the big, spicy dark berry and tar or unsweetened dark chocolate that I love in my Zin! Bittersweet bakers chocolate on the finish that lingers.

This is what I expect of my Zinfandels and I have not experienced this in the past couple years outside of the folks at Rosenblum. But Four Vines (Sonoma) producers build nice zinfandels from their entry level "OVC" at the $10 price point right on up. This one is around $20+ and if you're looking for good example of this varietal, this and the Rosenblum single vineyard Zins are hard to beat.

I am pairing this with 2 other "big" wines (a younger Napa Cabernet Sauvignon and and 1998 single vineyard Napa Cab.) The whole "white wine" with poultry is a misguided suggestion. It all depends what spices you will be serving with the whole meal and Thanksgiving dinner typically needs BIG red wines. For the three of us who comprise the Wine Cask blog--(NW) (Billy) and myself, raise a glass to the One by whose grace we awake every morning to see a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment