Thursday, June 20, 2013

Yalumba Viognier Eden Valley 2011 wine review by (PB)

Pale gold with bouquet of strange but sweet fruit. Slight white melon aromas but the rest is a bit odd; not unpleasant, I just can't relate it to anything I am familiar with.

Palate--Vibrant acidity highlights the foundation of a pungent and interesting fruity presence. It is crisp but I find it awkward if only because it is unusual to me. I just don't really know quite what to do with this wine. The good folks at the Wine Spectator gave this a 91 point rating calling it spicy pear and pineapple. I'm not getting the nomenclature or the rating. But this is not to say I don't like this wine. It is just unlike anything I have had which is saying something considering I have been studying wine since the mid 70's. I don't remember what I paid for this but I know it wasn't the reference price of $19 but probably closer to $14.

So, I'll defer to the expertise of the Wine Spectator and say, raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment