Monday, September 20, 2010

Maximo Viura 2009 review by (PB)


I grabbed this because I thought perhaps "Virua" might be another varietal grape I had not yet tried but alas, it has about a billion other names like Macabeo and Ugni Blanc which of course I have had. Oh well, I have not had it though by itself because it is normally a blending grape. This wine hails from Spain.

It was interesting--Gargantuan tropical fruit bouquet that is impressive with a sweet menagerie of lime, mango, orange, pineapple and pear notes--wow!

Palate--although this was quite warm, it was RACY with an acid edge to it that could cut your tongue. Wowza--and I like strong acid in my whites but this is a bit over the top. Beyond that though there is lots of tropical fruit all over the mouth and this wine actually makes your mouth water it is so juicily acidic. (The next day I had it chilled and wasn't quite so sharp but neither was it as full of flavors.) Bottom line is Ii paid $6.50 for it and for that I can't complain but wouldn't buy it again. Raise one glass anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment