Monday, January 25, 2010

Tres Picos Garnacha 2007 wine review by (PB)


From the folks who produce some fine value wines at the Bodegas Borsao, this Spanish Grenache is culled from old vines with low yields.

It presents with a nice garnet hue and aromas of sweeter wild berries and spice reminiscent of Zinfandel with white pepper notes at the end.

Palate--First impression of dark spices, pepper corns, and some palate heft with a tannic streak that adds weight to the bold dark berry wine with wood accents and nice hint of vanilla on the nice and lasting finish.

This wine will only get better and at $15, I wish I had another one to lay down for a couple more years but it's drinking really well now.

I am pairing this with some spare ribs cooked in my All Clad slow cooker which I will put over some home made pasta and then I will raise a glass!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, Garnacha! One thing we've noticed lately is that "old world" wines seem to be making a huge come back, especially varietals from Spain (though their counterparts from Argentina and other locations are also enjoying a great deal of popularity). Our theory is that wines like Garnacha, such as our Las Rocas label, are more balanced and friendly than some Cabernets, Syrahs, and even Pinot Noirs – which are made all over the world. Garnacha, or Grenache, is made in a lot of countries, too, but there's nothing like those old vines, and we've gotten good feedback from a surprisingly wide variety of enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:18 PM

    I LOVE THIS WINE.
    THIS IS A GOOD YEAR FOR THAT WINE.
    I TASTE THE 2008, AND I IT IS NOT THE SAME, PROPABLE DUE TO THE 15% ALCOOL.
    ANAWAY, IT IS TASTFULL, NICE COLOR, LONG IN MOUTH, AND FRUITY.
    I RECOMMEND IT AND FOR THE PRICE, GET A FEW TO KEEP IT IN THE CAVE.

    ReplyDelete