Sunday, April 13, 2008

Comenda Grande Tinto 2004 Wine Review by Billy


Nose:Asparagus, loamy earth, milk, mushrooms, soft dark jammy berries
Palate: pleasantly tannic at first but soft with rounded feel. Not big in the mouth but even and subtle.
Finish: cocoa, tapering finish that ends quickly with a tough of green.

Overall: there is no way to describe the excellence with which a wine received as a gift imparts when you open and drink it. This Comenda Grande 2004, a red wine from the Alentejano region of Portugal, was given to me as a gift from a dear friend from Portugal. I was in Lisbon on a business trip and my friend and I got to talking about wine. He gifted me this bottle and another from his own collection. As I drink this wine, I am flooded with pleasant memories of Lisbon, the evening spent watching football at a local eatery, and the friendliness of the Portuguese people.

The wine is a nice table red. A blend of Portuguese varietals Trincadeira, Aragones (aka tempranillo) and Alicante Bouschet, this deep red is flavored predominantly by the Trincadeira and smoothed and rounded by the Aragones.

Raise a Glass!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Great wine with equally nice owners. Had a good time tasting this last summer in Lisbon. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete