Saturday, September 22, 2007

Falesco Vitiano 2004 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Nose of cherry and plum

Steely core of sour cherry on the palate

Finishes with more cherry and a mineral undertone

I think this wine is over-rated. It received pretty big scores from some critics, but it doesn't really impress me. While classically-styled with cherry fruit and a steely core, there's nothing exciting about it. I've had the 2004 three times now and it just doesn't stand out in the crowd with so many interesting Italian reds to choose from.

With that said, it's maintained bargain pricing of $10 or so at a time when many entry-level Chiantis and other Italian reds are creeping into the low teens. I actually paid just under $9 for this bottle a few months ago. If you want to try it, swirl it in the glass quite a bit and wash down a homemade pizza or calzone. And raise a glass to single digit prices!

1 comment:

  1. I reviewed this wine sometime ago as well and agree with (NW)that it is an over-hyped wine and I even stated that while I rarely disagree with the folks at the Wine Spectator, their 90 point rating was unwarranted. Still, a decent wine to be sure so raise a glass!

    ReplyDelete