Thursday, July 12, 2007

Neirano Barolo 2001 wine review by (PB)


I bought this at Sam's Club for $22. That's a dirt cheap price for a Barolo but I have purchased other Barolos at Sam's--although not that cheap--and have been pleasantly surprised.

For a Barolo--made from the Nebbiolo grape, this wine is light in color and a bouquet which is understated. Fruit is non-descript and fairly tight. This is not a good example of Barolo but then I didn't pay a classic price for it either. I decanted it and let it breathe.

In the mouth this wine is rather tart and tannic with a bready, toasty front. A dried cherry nose opens but it is still tart but it is better than it was on opening. However, at the two hour mark for breathing, it improves substantially.

There are rasiny notes and even the tartness resolves quite a bit. It was a good steak wine and okay for the price. I wouldn't buy another but I'm glad I bought the one. Raise a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment