Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chateau Lynch Bages 1996 wine review by (PB)


This was (PB's) ringer in the tasting--the wine was aging by the color with a slightly yellow rim with some darker core hues. The wine had a big vegetal bouquet with hefty aromas giving way with some breathing, to dark fruit and a touch of cedar and dill. Molasses emerges later with thick sweet aromas. Nice!

In the mouth it was full of daffodils and plenty of charm but ever so mature with stately posture. The more I tasted it, the more I enjoyed and appreciated it. This was a very nice wine whatever it was and it just kept evolving as it kissed the air.

Yes, this was the Lynch Bages. I had purchased it at an off the wall, run down liquor store in St. Charles, Illinois while visiting my sister-in -law. The store was NOT temperature controlled and I bought in the middle of a mid-western summer. The store had to be 90 degrees and I figured that is why the wine was so cheap. I paid $70 for it when the going rate was about twice that. I expressed my concern to the guy at the register who in a classic Chicago accent said, "Dat's da good stuff; you don' gotta worry bout dat stuff; nah dat's da good stuff!"

Well he was right. (NW) we raised glasses all weekend long and learned more about wine in the process. What a great time and a great way to remember what such freedoms cost those who have given their lives to secure it. We have much to be thankful for. So raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment