Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Blind Taste Off with (NW) and (PB)

(NW) came up for Memorial Day weekend with my newest grand daughter and family in tow plus two dogs (with my own) made three. I decided it would be fun to do a blind flight of three wines; two old world, one new world and just let the chips fall where they may. After my less than enthusiastic review of the 1997 Chateau Haut Brion, (NW) implied in his review of the same wine that my palate had been co-opted by the new world style of wines with their fruit forward, gargantuan fruit bomb style. For the record, what we at the WCB have always stated is that YOU like what YOU like. Wine and it's complexities and variations of style is subjective when it comes to what each one likes. We cannot dictate preference. So "if" it were true that I was partial to new world style--so be it. But when you scan the hundreds of reviews I have given hundreds of old world wines, that assessment doesn't quite endure scrutiny.

So I thought I would pit a classic Old world wine known only to me, while (NW) would put up a new world and an old world wine known only to him. We would taste them blind and see how it all fell out at the end.

The wines turned out to be Langmeil Valley Floor Shiraz 2005; Bourgogne Pinot Noir 1997 and the wine I supplied, the classic Chateau Lynch Bages, 1996. For the results, scroll down.

1 comment: