Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hess Collection Chardonnay 2003 "Estate Crown" wine review by (PB)


This Napa Valley Chard was marked down from $23 to $16 so I grabbed it on a lark. It is a nice light yellow color with a really soft bouquet and candy in the nose with citrus and something I can't peg.

In the mouth it has nice acidity but the palate is a little awkward. Again in the finish there is something I can't quite label and I'm not sure it is a good thing. I am ambivalent about this wine and for this price, ambivalence is definitely a bad sign.

Although you don't normally think in terms of airing out white wines, this one has improved a bit with some air which is probably more due to the fact that it is warming up from my cellar temp which is too cold this time of year.

At first I thought this wine might be dying but I am changing my mind as it warms up some. Vanilla comes out very strong with some creme brulee hints which is pleasing but there is an underlying layer of alcohol.

Hess is generally a very reliable producer and this wine, at this price point is not a value. I'm still not convinced that it isn't a wine that is beginning to exit. The only way to know for sure would be to try another bottle which at this price I am not about to do.

Raise a glass never-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment