Saturday, February 10, 2007

Chateau du Donjon Cuvee Prestige Minervois 2001 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Nose delivers wild cherry, minerals, and a dose of white pepper
Steely core, lean and tart, with cranberries
Monderatey strong tannins finish with herbs and a note of baker's chocolate

Clearly, this is a well-made wine. However, it's not one of my favorite styles of red. I have trouble when a wine is dominated by herbs and peppers- it seems like I'm drinking a wine made from the grape vine and not the grape itself.

There's a lot of Grenache in this wine along with Syrah. The Grenache in Southern France seems to deliver accented herbal qualities which are meant to blend well with Syrah. Sometimes it's much more subtle, but this wine shows a lot of herbs.

A lot of different styles are represented in Southern France, and I encourage you to taste your way around the various regions. I've found a lot of wines I really like, especially between $10-20. This wine was $17, compliments of PB who has tasted several bottlings from this producer. There are plenty of good values out there. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment