Saturday, November 04, 2006

Wildekrans Cabernet Franc- Merlot 2003 Wine Review (NW)

Nose of wild berries and lead-pencil shavings
Raspberry on the palate
Dry finish with raspberry, cranberry, and tobacco

This wine is an interesting change of pace. It's an estate wine from South Africa created with 80% Cabernet Franc and 20% Merlot. I paid $14 at a local wine shop.

The Cabernet Franc dominates in flavor and texture. I can't imagine what this would taste like if there wasn't some Merlot there to soften everything. As the flavor profile develops in the glass, more and more tobacco emerges. It's really interesting, but you need to be ready for it.

As a change of pace, I always recommend Cabernet Franc. It's an entirely different wine from the other noble red grapes. Look for it in the "alternative red" section or in the French wine section under "Chinon". Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Sounds interesting, I'm always ready for a Cab Franc from a different region and I've only seen one bottle from Australia, and it was about $30. This one seems more reasonably priced although I havent found anywhere in NYC that has it.

    ReplyDelete