Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Moschofilero Boutari 2005 Wine Review (NW)

Brilliant pale yellow color
Nose of lemon and honey
Dry on the palate, with citrus notes and nice acidity
Smooth, dry finish with some floral notes

In the interest of full disclosure, this wine was sent to The Wine Cask blog compliments of Paterno Wines International. They continue to value the wine blogging community as an excellent resource for furthering conversation about their many wines.

The wine surprised me! At first, I didn't know it was Greek until I spent a moment examining the label. As it turns out, Moschofilero is a grape varietal that's making a bit of a comeback. It is primarily grown in Matinina, a region in Southern Greece.

As I was checking out the label, I realized the bottle was having a psychological effect on me. The bottle is clear glass, and a clear bottle gets me prepared to taste a light, crisp white wine- perfect for summer. Many Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios come bottled this way.

While the wine is light and crisp, the nose is remarkably fragrant. The big lemon bouquet and notes of honey are wonderful. PB of this blog also detected some sweet spices that I did not pick up on.

As for the overall structure, I enjoyed the dry, smooth finish and the fact that it has a backbone of acidity to compliment food.

Ironically, the day after tasting this wine, I saw it in a store for the first time. It was priced at $10, which puts it in the good, value white category. It's easy to beat a comparable Chardonnay at this price, but this wine is more of a Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc alternative anyway. I think it's nice to see another alternative white wine with character.

Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:55 PM

    It's a very fresh wine and at that price i think no white wine can beat it.

    ReplyDelete