Saturday, July 22, 2006

Freemark Abbey Carpy Ranch Rutherford Viognier 2002 Wine Review (NW)

Nose of floral and soft tropical fruit
Plush on the palate, but with enough backbone and acidity
Soapy, floral finish with a bitter note beneath

After not having a Viognier for a while, I wasn't sure what to expect. This is a bottle I saved to open with PB of The Wine Cask Blog because it's always fun to share an interesting wine.

I think the nose is beautifully floral and complimented by just enough fruit. The overall plush feel is nice, and the finish tapers well. The slight bitter note at the end was a bit puzzling, but not a major distraction.

If you'd like to break out of a Chardonnay slump, give this wine a shot. That is, if you can find it of course. It's a limited production wine that I happened upon at a New York wine merchant while on a recent trip through the area. Grab it if you see it because it's a great deal at only $12. Although, the $12 I paid seems awefully low but I didn't argue with the clerk. Raise glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment