Sunday, July 02, 2006

Domaine La Due Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Real Time Wine Review (NW)

Beautiful dark color
Explosive nose of blackberry, raspberry, and cedar
Firm structure, dense core, herbal
Long finish, moderately chewy tannins, notes of cocoa and vanilla

I am really enjoying this wine. It is such a classic Cabernet Sauvignon. I mean classic!. It has every element of a great Cab and could probably cellar well, too.

We are about to pair it with two kinds of rich, homemade pasta. I'm sure it will do extremely well... Yes, not only a classic Cab, but food worthy as well.

This wine is a very small production from a family-run winery in the Oakville district of Napa Valley. Six months ago, my wife and I stumbled upon it at a wine tasting at Freeport Wine & Cheese in Freeport, Maine. Of all the wines present, this was the best and we left with a bottle. I thought about putting it in the cellar for a few years but felt it was important to enjoy a full bottle at home together before we bet on it in the cellar. Hopefully I can track it down again and grab a couple more to tuck away. Some of these small production Napa Valley wines that fly under the radar are just terrific; well made and well priced. I paid $33 for this, but it would stand up against many Oakville wines two or three times the price. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment