Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Salomon Undhof Hochterrassen Gruner Veltliner 2004 Wine Review (NW)

Very light, pale white
Citrus aromas on the nose
Crisp, acidic on the palate
Abbreviated, white pepper finish

My wife and I foiled PB with this wine. We placed it in front of him in a blind tasting, knowing it would be very difficult to guess. He was close, though, thinking it was a dry Chenin Blanc. For Gruner Veltliner, the Austrian national grape, this one is extremely dry and very inexpensive at just $6. The problem is, it's too dry, crisp, and abbreviated. Interesting wine, but next time I'll spend a little more money on a Gruner Veltliner in the hopes of something a little more complex. Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. I'd say you nailed this wine. I was not familiar with it, not even sure how it ended up in my cellar. I decided to google it, I too thought it reminded me of a dry chenin-blanc. Fun wine but definitely lacking on the finish

    ReplyDelete