Monday, May 29, 2006

K Syrah 2003 Milbrandt Vineyards Wahluke Slope wine review by (PB)

(NW) and I are “Batchin” it while our wives are out in the City of Angels. He drove up Memorial Day weekend to snag his dog and of course to enjoy a splash or two of wine.

I grabbed some Sirloin tips to grill, and then went to the cellar to see what we should try. I wanted something neither of us haven’t had before. We chose this Syrah which I have had for several months. After tasting and reviewing the K Syrah Cougar Hills bottle, I was looking forward to this wine. Unfortunately, I was let down which was quite a surprise.

Yes it had a gorgeous, deep purple color to the rim showing youthful vitality and yes the bouquet was full of fresh plums and rich blackberry notes with a touch of anise. That was a nice start.

But first impression on the palate was–sour. Not terribly sour, but enough to where it was my first impression; that’s not what you want out of great wine experience.

I thought perhaps it needed to be decanted which I did. With some air, the wine was more relaxed but still out of balance with the sour acidity that just–for me–dampened my enthusiasm for the rich berry and anise flavors with some nice layers of pepper and spice and a pretty decent finish.

But all in all, for $35, this was NOT the wine it’s cousin–Cougar Hills–was. So while it was pleasant enough with our steak tips, it was rather forgettable. ! Watch for (NW’s) review; I think he enjoyed it more than I did. (Raise a glass of something more affordable)

No comments:

Post a Comment