Monday, April 03, 2006

E. Guigal Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2001 Wine Review (NW)

Light brick red color
Fragrant, soft fruit nose slow to emerge with cherry and plum
Old world style, with well-structured core and a smooth palate
Lingering finish with a touch of pepper

I'm not sure I saw this wine evolve fully because I rushed through it at a business dinner. It definitely took some time to open up. With an old-world elegance and a refined composition, the fruit was slow to emerge in the glass. Some of the others at the table didn't care for this wine. I think it was too much of a departure from their standard fruit-forward wines.

For an accurate picture of this wine, I'd have to try it again. In some ways, Chateauneuf-du-Pape can be an acquired taste. And at $70 in the restaurant, this one wasn't cheap. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment