Sunday, March 26, 2006

Louis Dubroca 1999 Sauternes Wine Review by (billy)

So let me start off by saying that there is nothing worse for a budding enophile than a persistent head cold that turns into a sinus infection then lingers on for weeks and weeks as enlarged sinuses prevent any kind of attempt at sniffing - anything.

Sorry I've been absent for a while, but it hasn't been for lack of desire. It has been for lack of sampling the fruit of the vine due to a terribly long head cold.

It is over now and I'm back to tasting. I thought I'd celebrate with another attempt to blog a Sauternes. I'm especially hopeful for this bottle of 1999 Louis Dubroca Sauternes since my last Sauternes was definitely and conclusively corked!

We'll see how this one goes.

I paid about $35 for this bottle.
Eyes: pale liquid honey
Nose: citrus and chardonnay and butter creme
Palate: bold honeyed apricots that leap immediately as the wine touches your tongue. medium-weak acid structure that provides just a touch too little backbone to support the heavy sweetness. This, however, does not impede the fantasically creamy smoothness of this wine. Oak hints lend complexity in a suggestive style.
Finish: lingering but weakly. Like a memory of a great finish. Some candied lemon rind hints with a complimentary green sprig.


If you read the review from the eyes, nose, palate, finish perspective (above) you'll get the idea about this Sauternes. It is a wine of playful hints and suggestions. If you were on a date with this wine, the complexity and structure flirt with you but never ask you inside. Meanwhile the bold honeyed apricot flavors leap out from behind the bushes and bop you on the head for wanting more than the rest of the wine is ready (or willing) to give.

I did some brief research on Louis Dubroca and found only this. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to see if this wine will open up at all and yield some more complexity.

Overall, this is a fine wine. Not a great wine, a good wine. For the money I might opt for a half-bottle of something a bit more complex and better put together. Still, I'm not complaining. It's just good to be back tasting wine again.

Raise a Glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:19 AM

    I had a similar experience with Sauternes, namely a Chateau Bastor-Lamontagne 1998. Great website, enjoyed looking around. Regards, Stuart

    ReplyDelete