Sunday, January 08, 2006

Clos Du Val Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Wine Review (NW)

Sweet, ripe nose
Smooth texture in the mouth with plum and licorice on the palate
Moderate tannins and medium length finish

I was given this bottle as a gift a while back. After reading a couple of critics dismiss the wine as flat and boring, I didn't rush to open it. Finally, deciding I was in the mood for a Napa Valley Cab, I popped the cork and was pleasantly surprised. The wine had more character than I expected, it showed some nice layers, and I enjoyed drinking it. This was another great lesson in trusting my own palate.

As this was a gift, I didn't know the price until I looked it up. According to several sources, the suggested price is $25. Napa Valley Cab is expensive, so $25 is relatively cheap in that category. I hesitate to recommend this wine, though, because there is so much excellent red wine in the world for half the price. I hope that The Wine Cask blog continues to demonstrate this. Of course, nothing against Napa Valley or Clos Du Val. In fact, one of my favorite treats is a bottle of good California Cabernet Sauvignon. The reality is, though, it's usually an expensive treat and better value lies elsewhere for everyday enjoyment. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment