Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Wine Review: Heitz Napa Valley Grignolino 2001 (NW)

Beaujolais in color
Nice sweet fruit and floral nose
Strawberries on the palate battle a a layer of tartness
Clean finish

If you want something totally unique, reach for a bottle of this Grignolino. It is both unusual and interesting, providing a new experience for me. Grignolino is a varietal I've never seen. Although I've heard of sparkling Italian wines using this grape, I've never seen a bottle marked for this varietal. A store near me had one row of this wine and it looked like it was collecting dust. The reason I bought it was for the uniqueness factor and because I assumed Heitz wouldn't put out a bad wine. And the fact is, they didn't. I paid $16 for the bottle and took it with me on a visit to PB's (of The Wine Cask Blog). We were both impressed and enjoyed learning a little bit about this unique varietal. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment