Friday, November 25, 2005

Heitz Cellars Grignolino 2001 review by (PB)

Pronounced “grin-oh-leeno” (NW) picked this up because it was such an oddball offering from one of California’s premier vintner’s. Heitz Cellars produced the famous “Martha’s Vineyard” Cabernet Sauvignon way back in the 70's when I was cutting my teeth on my first adventures into the world of wine. As a student with family in tow, I could barely afford to read about the pricey wine and 30 years later I have yet to have had the means or the inkling to shell out the $100+ a bottle for this sought after creation. So (NW) sees this esoteric production and had to grab one not knowing what we were in for.

On the pour this wine reminds me of a Gamay with its very light color with a bouquet that is equally light. Strawberry aromas are strong. On a second swirl, there is a fantastic burst of fresh flowers but fades quickly. This wine is well made with a strong acid foundation which would make this wine go well with all kinds of foods. The flavors are unique and hard to describe with an odd touch of bitters.

On further swirling there is a candyish scent with a grapey touch in the sweet aroma. It finishes really small but this is such a different wine, I have to say I like it! It set (NW) back $16, a blind expenditure that proved to be both interesting and pleasant. What more could ask for? Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment