Thursday, March 31, 2005

Chateau Du Donjon Grande Tradition 2003 (PB)

This unknown red (unknown to me) is ultra yeasty like mom’s baked buns fresh out of the oven. (Okay like Pillsbury’s buns out of the oven) There’s not much else there though other than nice yeast on opening. I bought this knowing nothing about it, but in the mouth it is surprisingly nice. This light red called "Grande Tradition" from the appellation Minervois has good structure, nice balance, delicate tannins and a finish that is subtle but polished. Breathing does nothing but then it doesn't need to. I like this wine. It is simple, straight forward, has some nice currant flavors though not big at all yet defined, fresh and pleasant. (old world) For $8.50 and unknown I would have expected it be a loser; what I got was a really nice quaffing wine. I would buy this again. Raise a glass!

Subsequent addition to this review: After posting my review I found this wine rated on the Wine Spectator web site. It was given an 88 and rated a “best Value.” They actually said, “A nice quaff.” I think they’ve been reading my bog… :)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:27 PM

    If you don't stop quaffing, you should go see the doctor!

    ReplyDelete